More Spice than Sugar.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Long overdue update.

Where shall I begin? Sophie is the best, happiest, most easy going baby ever. She was 13 lbs 8 oz at her 2 month check up. That means she was gaining 1 lb a week. More than she should. What can I say she enjoys her sleep and her food. The Dr wanted me to put her on a "diet". I did not. He wanted me to give her no more than 5 oz of formula then give an ounce of pedialyte. She is not ridiculously overweight so I didnt do the diet. When she starts crawling if she doesnt slim down some I will consider something but a diet for a 2 mo? Nope. She is in the 97% for height and weight so she is proportional. The issue I am having with her is not eating (obviously) not sleeping (she sleeps 6 hour stretches) and crying (never cries) but her spitting up. She spits up handfulls! Literally. I dont even use a burp cloth anymore I use a receiving blanket. The poor little thing's clothes stay wet even with a bib on. She was put on Nexium then prevacid both are diong nothing. Now she has been changed to a different formula. It is a non cows milk based formula with the thinking maybe she is lactose intolerant or has an issue with cows milk or milk based proteins. I have a sneaky suspicion it will not help. I am trying to be positive though. About 2 times a week she will cry in the evening about dinner time and be in obvious discomfort. I think her stomach. Nothing will soothe her. No pacifier, no bottle, no rocking or singing...Once I put her in the bath tub and just laid her there and poured warm water over her for about 30 mins. This helped and she was ok while she was in there but then when I took her out she cried again. Then another 2 times (and I know this makes me sound like a total wacko but hey I used my mothers instinct and it helped me but I may sound nutty) I had tried everything I could and the only other thing I could think of to soothe a baby was nursing. Mind you I havent tried to nurse her in over a month. So needless to say there was nothing there for her but I tried it anyway and I dont know if it was the skin to skin or the act of sucking or the combo but it worked. It broke my heart to know she wanted to nurse so badly that she would suck getting nothing from it and I couldnt give her what she needed. But at least I could soothe her right? So now we are in the middle of trying to figure out why she spits up so much and hoping to figure it out so we can fix it. She is such a good baby I hate for her to be in pain and not be able to help.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I want to give you kudos for listening to your instincts and not putting your baby on a diet. My 9YO was in the 97th percentile for height and weight until like 7YO. I was advised to have her do sit-ups about age 3. I didn't. She's "slipped" to about 92nd! LOL! So as one mommy to a big girl to another, good decision! Have confidence in it as the days go by.