More Spice than Sugar.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring has sprung and JD, JD quite contrary how does your garden grow?


We started our garden last night. When we got home from work JD started working on our garden. Setting it out and measuring, marking etc. Today he got the plots dug. Yes I said plots. We are doing it a little different this year. Last year we did the tomatoes in the black kow bags and only had about 4 plants. This year we are planting in the ground but we aren't really doing a traditional garden with rows. We are planting each plant in it's own individual "plot". It's a 12 x 12 plot with 4 feet between each plot so JD can mow between each plot. We are planting 10 tomato plants, 4 cucumber, 3 bell pepper, 3 yellow squash and I am planting some more herbs; Cilantro, oregano, chives and basil. I already have mint and a type of chive and oregano. THe mint is doing ok but I lost my cilantro which is waht I really wanted (gotta have it for my pico de gallo) and I want a different type of chive. I think I have garlic chive and I dont really want that. So we'll see how we do with these chives. I have also been trying to organize and get a better handle on our food storage for emergancy preparedness. We are doing fairly well and I will psot our totals when I get a grip and a tally on everything. If I could get this darn couponing thing under my belt we'd really be rockin and rollin. I am using the grocery game and a couple of online friends who is a couponing goddesess to help me try to figure out the couponing thing (unfortunately I dont have the time they have) and I am using this site to help me with our food storage. We also got about 1/2 a cord of firewood put up and ready to season well for next winter. Ahh to set by the fire on a cold night with my boys. Thats the life! Well folks, spring has sprung and we are all busy as little bee's around here.

No comments: